Friday, January 21, 2011

Ecological Footprint...How Bad is it Really?


I am currently taking class which focuses on Sustainability and had to take an Ecological Footprint Quiz to see how my actions impact the Earth. It was interesting to find out that my results were that if everyone lived the way I do, we would need 5.62 earths. This got me to thinking...as designers, how much do we waste? How often do we use products that are from recycled materials? I know that this doesn't go with certain concepts, like Cradle to Cradle, but how much would that choice of using carpet made from recycled materials effect our world? Instead of choosing an item that has to be shipped from China, maybe using one that is made locally, or at least in the continental US. My goal for studio this semester is to truly try to use products that are more eco-friendly as well as local. Even choosing to use energy efficient lighting can make a difference.


To take the Ecological Footprint Quiz and what you can do to reduce your carbon footprint, visit http://myfootprint.org/en/

1 comment:

  1. Yay I got 4.89 earths. Of course that's still not very good considering there is only one earth :(

    ReplyDelete